[pim/kmail] doc/kmail2: Update copyright dates, release level. The documentation for kmail2 is now (almost) up to date.

David Bryant davidbryant at gvtc.com
Fri Aug 20 20:17:20 BST 2021

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 8:59:15 AM CDT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> The list in "About KMail" is hard-coded in
> https://invent.kde.org/pim/kmail/-/blob/master/src/aboutdata.cpp
>
> According to the history of this file the list hasn't been update for many
> years.

Thanks for the tip, Ingo. I found that file pretty easily by running Kfind against my local
KMail repo and searching for "ingo".  😇

So I looked through the commit history for aboutdata.cpp and it looks as if the hard-coded
lists of contributors haven't been updated since 2010, more or less. There have been a lot
of changes. But almost all of the recent commits have been for maintaining compatibility
with QT, or with Frameworks. Technical stuff that did not alter the list of contributors, in
other words.

I see this comment in the aboutdata.cpp code, right before the hard-coded lists of
contributors:
// This file should not be changed by anybody other than the maintainer
// If you change the maintainer here, change it in the MAINTAINERS file in the
// top level folder as well.

I'll be glad to update this program file (aboutdata.cpp) and make it sync up with the
documentation (credits-and-licenses.docbook). But I guess I need Laurent's permission to
do that. Is that OK, Laurent?

I did some research yesterday. I used "git log >> somefile.txt" to get a list of all the
commits to the KMail repo (actually, I had created that list on July 3, 2021). There are
283,045 lines in the file I created. The first commit is by Stephan Kulow, dated June 8, 1997.
He imported the source code using subversion, which apparently was in use until late
2010. Anyway, the first commit is for revision #221. So a little bit of the early history of
KMail is missing. But the log is essentially complete.

I extracted all the "Author: " lines for the period January 1, 2010 through June 30, 2021,
then imported that list into LibreOffice Calc. I then used the Data --> AutoFilter function to
extract the following list of contributors.  I have omitted people who didn't create at least 7
commits. That was sort of arbitrary, but I had to start somewhere. And there were quite a
few people with only one or two commits. I included 35 authors, out of roughly 90. So I left
out 55 people. But the ones I included are responsible for ~98% of the commits made in
the past ten years. Here's the list.

Name
No. Commits
Remarks