Documentation Primer typos, etc.

David Bryant davidbryant at gvtc.com
Sun Mar 15 21:31:49 GMT 2020

On Sunday, March 15, 2020 3:08:05 PM CDT Jack Ostroff wrote:
> Something seems odd.  I only get a result with
> https://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-primer/check-docs.html (note the added
> "l" at then end)

I took a look at the html source in page https://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-primer/index.html

About half-way through the document I see this:

where "✺" is actually an unprintable character -- I'm just guessing here, but
I think it's X'EFBFBD', based on John Haynes's original post in this thread.
That's not a valid code point in UTF-8.

I have no idea how it got inserted into the html code, which is generated by
an XML processor from a .docbook source document. All that stuff really ought
to be straight 7-bit ASCII characters, for the most part. The URL for the
destination page was rendered correctly (without 3 bytes of hex garbage) by
the same XML processor. Cosmic rays, maybe?

I posted a picture of the way Firefox renders this bit of code on my web site,
just in case anyone wants to look at it. Visit

https://davidcbryant.net/images/WeirdUTF-8.png

if you're curious.

Interestingly,  I can't even copy and paste the unprintable character. I
suppose that's because it's not a valid UTF-8 character ... when scanning text
input, the "copy" function probably stops when it hits something
unrecognizable.

David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas