D23415: Improve comprehensibility and consistency of window placement mode names

Ilya Bizyaev noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 14 15:46:58 BST 2019

IlyaBizyaev added a comment.

  In D23415#530984 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415#530984>, @zzag wrote:

  > The only way to proceed further from this point is to leave the name of smart placement policy as is.

  Wow, that's the least KDE thing I've heard this year! Totally not what I'd expect when submitting a patch to an open-source project.

  FOSS development is about collaboration. No one discards your domain knowledge, feeling so worried about it seems unmotivated: in fact, from what I see, just as unmotivated as the "veto".

  Luckily for both sides, changing a user-visible string to something comprehensible is not a domain knowledge of window managers. The internal implementation of 1999 seems to not be affected by this change and stays as smart (or not smart) as it is.

  On a personal note, I am glad I stumbled upon this revision as I finally know now what the first setting I tweak when installing Plasma on my friends' computers actually means, and can safely remove filing a bug report against its behavior from my TODO list.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415