D18744: Add action in Edit menu to select the text on current page

David Hurka noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Feb 16 20:48:43 GMT 2019

davidhurka added a comment.

  In D18744#413768 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18744#413768>, @aacid wrote:

  > Do not use Alt+Letter for a shortcut, it's bad.

  Because Alt is used for Access Keys (Mnemonics), right?

  In D18744#413776 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18744#413776>, @ngraham wrote:

  > To be honest, I just don't feel great about this. The original bug (select whole page's text on double-click)  was a bad idea, and we've tried to torture this patch into implementing the requested feature in a sort of awkward way, with a top-level menu item in the Edit menu that has no icon and probably no keyboard shortcut--all for a function that's likely to be used infrequently--if ever--for most users.
  >
  > I think I would feel better if we instead did the following:
  >
  > 1. Triple-click to select current line or current paragraph
  > 2. Quadruple-click to select whole page
  >
  >   What do other folks think?

  I thought, this should get quadruple-click and Ctrl+Shift+A.

  Text Selection mode already pollutes the clipboard, so this action could also be called “Copy all text on current page”. And then, it would also make sense in the other modes, like Select All.

  Considering the clipboard and how long Okular hangs to “select” a catalogue or datasheet with 1000+ pages, this action should get Ctrl+A. The other action would become “Select all Text on all Pages”, with Ctrl+Shift+A. This makes it less easy to hang Okular unintentionally.

  And, how often would someone want to select the whole document? The result would include all headers, footers,... several times. This is mostly useful for .txt files that were converted to PDF. In a catalogue or instruction set, Select all Text on Current Page is more useful. Thus, the idea to select the page is not worse than to select the whole document.

  Related:
  Considering headers and footers, these probably should be exclude-able from both Select All and Find..., The easiest way is probably to ignore the trimmed-away margins.

REPOSITORY
  R223 Okular

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D18744