D23415: Improve comprehensibility and consistency of window placement mode names

Vlad Zagorodniy noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Aug 25 18:44:31 BST 2019

zzag added a comment.

  I'm against renaming "smart" placement policy for couple reasons:
  (a) it's been called like this since its inception <https://github.com/KDE/kde-workspace/commit/3688839f2abac2996530b012a493afcbf86ee640>, i.e. starting from late 1999
  (b) "smart" is a catchy name, which is easy to memorize

  > How should anyone know what that really means? How is "Smart" actually smart?

  I'd say if something is capable of doing taxes, then we consider it to be "smart." However, this placement policy is called "smart" because "a really smart placement algorithm" decides how to place clients.

  > "Smart" is meaningless and must be replaced.

  It's cool when the name of a thing precisely reflects what it is. However in this case, we'll keep the name for historical reasons.

  Naming things is a can of worms. For example, "Linux" is meaningless in context of a kernel.

  ---

  > - Minimal Overlapping

  NACK: Leave it as "Smart"

  > - Maximized

  ACK: Maximizing -> Maximized

  > - Cascaded

  ACK: Cascade -> Cascaded

  > - In Top-Left Corner

  I'm tempted to use "Zero-Cornered" because that's how it's called internally. However I don't hold strong opinion on this one.

  > @zzag shall we try this?

  Sure, just don't forget to update enums in Placement::Policy (placement.h).

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin

BRANCH
  better-window-placement-text (branched from master)

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D23415