[kde-doc-english] Fwd: KDE and Libre Graphics Meeting

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Wed Mar 11 19:59:40 UTC 2015

Hello,

anyone interested, has time and is near Toronto?

Betreff: KDE and Libre Graphics Meeting
Datum: Montag, 9. März 2015, 19:08:37
Von: Nathan Willis <nwillis at glyphography.com>
An: lueck at hube-lueck.de, yurchor at ukr.net

Hi Burkhard and Yuri,

Boudewijn Rempt suggested I reach out to you about an upcoming event; I
hope that's OK.

My name is Nate Willis; among other things, I work with open-font
development and I write about graphics applications -- that is how I met
Bouedwijn many years ago.

At the end of April / beginning of May will be Libre Graphics Meeting
(LGM), in Toronto, and while we always have a lot of attendees from various
parts of the KDE community, this year I'm working on a special project that
I would very much like to have the right folks participate in, so I'm
hoping you can help point me to the right people.

(LGM officially starts on Wednesday April 29 and goes through Saturday May
2.  There are more details on the conference here:
http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2015/)

It's a documentation project, for HarfBuzz, the OpenType text-shaping
engine. We'll be doing a Doc-Sprint on Monday and Tuesday (April 27 & 28)
before LGM.  The primary goal is to write a "how to use HarfBuzz in your
application" document for developers, with a secondary goal of producing
some good reference-manual material, too.

Behdad Esfahbod, the HarfBuzz maintainer, will be there, as will Kaled
Hosny and a couple of other developers.  What we could really use, though,
and more people who could help with the actual writing process.  Google is
covering meals, and we have access to the same conference meeting rooms
that LGM will be using. I expect some of the HarfBuzz folks will work all
week, while others may spend more of their time at the LGM sessions during
the We-Th-Fr days.

So if you know who in the KDE community lives in the Toronto region and
would be interested in helping us write -- especially anyone who actively
does documentation, but interested volunteers of all kinds would be welcome
-- I would greatly appreciate a referral.  Alternatively, simply spreading
the word in the right places/lists/channel would be terrific as well.

We're reaching out to other projects, including GNOME and LibreOffice, but
we want to make sure we write something useful for everyone.  Also,
sprinting is always a "the more the merrier" (and "the more the less work")
situation!  I've done some doc sprints before, and we will have someone
from FLOSSManuals as well (who happens to live in the area).  I'd really
love it if we could find some KDE folks to join us.

I think that's everything.  Please feel free to ask questions if I've left
something out, of course.  I hope someone from the KDE community can be
there; we would really value your contributions!

Thanks,
Nate

--
nathan.p.willis