[kde-doc-english] Wrong ISO dates in docbook files

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Tue Feb 3 10:17:44 UTC 2015

написане Mon, 02 Feb 2015 23:45:47 +0200, Albert Astals Cid
<aacid at kde.org>:

> El Diumenge, 1 de febrer de 2015, a les 02:36:06, Eloy Cuadra va
> escriure:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know if this is really important but in the docbook's author
>> guide
>> (http://l10n.kde.org/docs/markup/index.html) we can read in the page
>> about
>> the Prologue section (http://l10n.kde.org/docs/markup/prologue.html)
>> that
>> the <date> field must contain only ISO dates in the form "yyyy-mm-dd":
>>
>>   <date>
>>     The date is very important. It is used not only by scripts for
>> automatic
>> processing of documentation, but is also central to revision control and
>> co-ordination of translations. You must change the date if you have
>> changed
>> the original document, and you must not change the date if you are a
>> translator. The format of the date is very important. It must be in the
>> ISO, with “literal” delimiters, in the form “yyyy-mm-dd”. Please be
>> extremely careful about this, and triple check it before you send in the
>> document.
>>
>> Well, the KDE's original docbook files are plenty of dates that don't
>> follow
>> this rule (and also the corresponding translated PO files).
>>
>> Is it advisable to fix this issue now? This issue concerns a lot of
>> english
>> documentation in both stable and trunk branches (for kde4 and kf5).
>
> That's a good question. Had a look at the docbook documentation on
> http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/date.html and it says there's no
> expected
> format for the date.
>
> So i guess this may have been a self-imposed version so that people knew
> what
> to translate from.
>
> I looked in svn but the commit that introduced that sentence doesn't say
> anything about it and Nicolas doesn't seem to be around anymore to
> answer the
> question.
>
> So i guess we should decide ourselves, do we want to enforce that or not?
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert
>
> P.S: CC'ed the kde-doc-enlgish ml
>

>> Cheers

Hi,

That's not the first time when this question arises. It was a proposal by
Burkhard to have a consistent date/time format.

There were no objections to this. I think anyone with git access can fix
the dates if found this appropriate without a confirmation.

Best regards,
Yuri