[kde-doc-english] Wrong ISO dates in docbook files

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 21:45:47 UTC 2015

El Diumenge, 1 de febrer de 2015, a les 02:36:06, Eloy Cuadra va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is really important but in the docbook's author guide
> (http://l10n.kde.org/docs/markup/index.html) we can read in the page about
> the Prologue section (http://l10n.kde.org/docs/markup/prologue.html) that
> the <date> field must contain only ISO dates in the form "yyyy-mm-dd":
>
>   <date>
>     The date is very important. It is used not only by scripts for automatic
> processing of documentation, but is also central to revision control and
> co-ordination of translations. You must change the date if you have changed
> the original document, and you must not change the date if you are a
> translator. The format of the date is very important. It must be in the
> ISO, with “literal” delimiters, in the form “yyyy-mm-dd”. Please be
> extremely careful about this, and triple check it before you send in the
> document.
>
> Well, the KDE's original docbook files are plenty of dates that don't follow
> this rule (and also the corresponding translated PO files).
>
> Is it advisable to fix this issue now? This issue concerns a lot of english
> documentation in both stable and trunk branches (for kde4 and kf5).

That's a good question. Had a look at the docbook documentation on
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/date.html and it says there's no expected
format for the date.

So i guess this may have been a self-imposed version so that people knew what
to translate from.

I looked in svn but the commit that introduced that sentence doesn't say
anything about it and Nicolas doesn't seem to be around anymore to answer the
question.

So i guess we should decide ourselves, do we want to enforce that or not?

Cheers,
  Albert

P.S: CC'ed the kde-doc-enlgish ml