[kde-doc-english] Documentation tasks in Google Code-In / Season of KDE

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sun Oct 19 11:59:07 UTC 2014

Burkhard Lück ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> should we (doc team) participate in:
>
> Google Code-in
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/
>
> Season of KDE
> https://community.kde.org/SoK/Ideas/2014

I think Season of KDE is closer to GSoC in term of involvement (less rewarding
from a monetary point of view, of course. Google Code-in, if it wasn't change
compared to last years, requires a lot of small tasks, the target are
high-school students (please note I wasn't involved, I just checked from outside)

Most of the points down seems more on SoK than GCI __IMHO__, and for the SoK
ones some can be probably combined:

> * i18n for the main page of d.k.o, make it translatable
Coding, SoK, not sure how small is for GCI

> * new screenshots for docbooks in kf5
GCI

> * add kf5 docbooks into development section of d.k.o
SoK, (I suspect the time required to explain how things work will take more
time than doing it myself)

> * replace repo based names in the tree on d.k.o with better user centric names
SoK

> * add an action to khelpcenter to download the pdf from d.k.o
Uhm, not sure. SoK for sure (with something else). Maybe GCI.

> * add an action to khelpcenter to open a requested, but locally not installed
> handbook (Documentation not found page displayed), on d.k.o
Together with the one above, SoK. Maybe GCI.

> * add a search functionality to khelpcenter
SoK definitely.

> I have no experience as mentor for such programs, therefore I do not know if
> these tasks are too simple or too difficult or my ideas are simply nonsense or
>
> Comments and/or additional ideas for tasks please.

Personal note: I can't personally help with mentoring those programs right now.

Ciao
--
Luigi