[kde-doc-english] Documentation tasks in Google Code-In / Season of KDE

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Oct 19 09:11:58 UTC 2014

написане Sat, 18 Oct 2014 23:46:12 +0300, Burkhard Lück
<lueck at hube-lueck.de>:

> Hi,
>
> should we (doc team) participate in:
>
> Google Code-in
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/
>
> Season of KDE
> https://community.kde.org/SoK/Ideas/2014
>
> Some ideas:
>
> * i18n for the main page of d.k.o, make it translatable
>
> * new screenshots for docbooks in kf5
>
> * add kf5 docbooks into development section of d.k.o
>
> * replace repo based names in the tree on d.k.o with better user centric
> names
>
> * add an action to khelpcenter to download the pdf from d.k.o
>
> * add an action to khelpcenter to open a requested, but locally not
> installed
> handbook (Documentation not found page displayed), on d.k.o
>
> * add a search functionality to khelpcenter
>
> I have no experience as mentor for such programs, therefore I do not
> know if
> these tasks are too simple or too difficult or my ideas are simply
> nonsense or
>
> Comments and/or additional ideas for tasks please.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Some thoughts (as a mentor of some previous contests):

1. I'd better avoid screenshoting tasks as they need very low skills.

2. Participants usually have very good command in programming, so it is
feasible for them to complete even some difficult tasks.

3. Each task needs concentration and some deep knowledge from mentors. So
it is vital to know what the solution should look like from the beginning
and have at least several free days to be available in IRC.

4. The list of ideas is good, but I have no idea how to test the results
or how to explain the students what should be done to test them.

5. It would be good to have Baloo backend to search for the docs
(*.cache.bz2 or something like this), but I do not know if it is hard/easy
to do.

6. Google is not very generous. I do not think that many students want to
work for some hours to obtain $2 for the results.

Best regards,
Yuri