[kde-doc-english] KDocTools and Frameworks

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Thu Jan 9 19:47:59 UTC 2014

On Thursday 09 of January 2014 20:40:08 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 7. Januar 2014, 23:27:42 schrieb Luigi Toscano:
> > Anyone up as volunteer for this? If no one steps up I can help with that
> > as
> > I have a bit of experience with that code, but I definitely don't want to
> > be only one.
>
> I cannot be the maintainer due to my limited knowledge and skills regarding
> docbook.
> But of course I am willing to help maintaining the kdoctools framework.

Thanks; if I understand it correctly, this is for co-maintaining in. If no one
else steps in, I will officially volunteer, but we can add more maintainer in
the projects.kde.org page (I don't know why only one maintainer is needed for
each framework).

> > Regardless of the maintainer, there is one change I propose - that should
> > be done as soon as possible if approved: change the docbook version to
> > 4.5 (the last of 4.x) instead of 4.2. This should be mostly painless
> > (backport compatible) and it's not as big as porting to 5.x (which will
> > require more changes).
> > The change should be done also in all Frameworks modules (and later in all
> > ported applications).
>
> Reading www.docbook.org for infos you are obviously right in both - we need
> to update the version *and* the transition to 5.x will require more
> work/changes.
>
> What is the transition/update schedule you have in mind?
>
> * 4.2 to 4.5 in KDE 4.x or frameworks/5.0 ?
> * 4.5 to 5.0 ?

At this point it's pointless to change the DocBook version in SC 4.x.

For sure 4.5 should be the minimum version of DocBook in Frameworks/5.

We can discuss if we want to move to 5.x: if I remember correctly there are
some script which makes the conversion (semi)automatic, but I haven't checked.
In that case we would need to adapt also the various XSLT scripts and the
templates for docs.kde.org.
On the other side the switch to 4.5 should be mostly a matter of sed in the
various repositories.
Maybe we can keep 4.5 as the default one and think about adding 5.x in the
future (keeping 4.x compatibility, as it's not going away in the foreseeable
future).

Ciao
--
Luigi