[kde-doc-english] katepart doc split

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 00:01:51 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> The Great KatePart Doc Split has been committed to the frameworks branch!
>>
>> The old kwrite doc is gone and replaced with the new katepart doc
>> (which looks awfully similar ;-).  All content not specific to kate
>> was moved from the kate doc into the katepart doc and replaced by
>> links.
> Thanks for the effort! (maybe a summary of the change could benefit
> translators who do not use summit).

Sure, I'll send a note to kde-i18n-doc shortly.

>> To compile the new katepart doc, you'll need a recent build of
>> kdoctools from git (at least up to 5af7fdb).  With that version it
>> passes checkXML5 and compiles with meinproc5 successfully.
>>
>> I guess the kwrite Help button goes nowhere now, would a dev mind
>> changing it to point at "help:/katepart"?  Wasn't quite sure how to do
>> that properly.  (Or even if khelpcenter is working with KF5 right
>> now...)
> This is a question for kde-frameworks-devel@ I guess. Better ask now that
> after the release.

Well the add_subdirectory(khelpcenter) call in the kde-runtime
frameworks branch is commented out along with a bunch of others so I
assume the answer is "no".

I'm not sure bugging them with anything other than a review request
with it ported would be useful.  ;-)

>> Anyway, please have a look and make sure I didn't mess anything up.
>> :-)  If it all looks good, I'll go ahead and move it over to
>> ktexteditor.git in a few days.
>
> If you are going to move an existing file from one repository to another,
> maybe it would be better to find a way to extract the history too. Alex Merry
> kindly helped me with this and promised to document the procedure.

I see on kde-frameworks-devel that Alex has now documented this, so
I'll try it out and put up a clone for review.

> I have a note about one change:
> -<date>2013-11-28</date>
> -<releaseinfo>3.12 &kde; 4.12</releaseinfo>
> +<date>2013-02-22</date>
> +<releaseinfo>5.0 &kde; 5.0</releaseinfo>
>
> Like it or not, there is no KDE 5.0, and we should follow the general naming
> schema. I think we need to find a different pattern for this releaseinfo. My
> proposals:
> - only the program/library version (5.0 in this case)
> - program/library version + "KF5 based" (which could be a entity).

And pretty much every other <releaseinfo> across the project.  ;-)

For Kate I think just putting the Kate version will be sufficient.
For other applications, I'm not sure.  If there's going to continue to
be a KDE Software Compilation with 5.x versions in the future we might
want to just change them all to something like <releaseinfo>5.0
&kde-sc; 5.0</releaseinfo>.

Guess I'll ask on kde-frameworks-devel what the plan is here...

-T.C.