[kde-doc-english] Kubuntu documentation

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Thu Feb 6 11:22:22 UTC 2014

Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:53:14 +0200 було написано Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com>:

> Reply inline.
>
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
>> написане Tue, 04 Feb 2014 07:11:59 +0200, Valorie Zimmerman
>> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Hi Yuri and everybody,
>>>
>>> The time has come for us to get a docbook package from what we have so
>>> far on the wiki at http://userbase.kde.org/Kubuntu. We'll be using
>>> this package for testing, and do any last minute changes or additions
>>> as patches, as I understand it.
>>>
>>> Is the process to do this documented anywhere? Do we need to just turn
>>> it over to the team, or can we learn to do this ourselves?
>>>
>>> How are translations included in the package?
>>>
>>> Valorie
>>>
>>> PS: when we are closer to final release (April 17th) we will want to
>>> generate some Mediawiki -> HTML files for posting to our
>>> docs.kubuntu.org site. Is there a favored application to do this? -v
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Instructions for conversion (+HTML and other instructions):
>>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/How_To_Convert_a_UserBase_Manual_to_Docbook
>>
>> List of pages:
>>
>> Kubuntu
>> Kubuntu/Welcome
>> Kubuntu/Installation
>> Kubuntu/Basic
>> Kubuntu/Advanced
>> Kubuntu/Software
>> Kubuntu/Contribute
>> Kubuntu/Support
>>
>> Converted HTML with images:
>>
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55247264/kubuntu_HTML.tar.bz2
>>
>> PDF version:
>>
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55247264/kubuntu.pdf
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Yuri
>
> Hi Yuri, we have a couple of questions. First, How does one get
> translations? Same procedure? If so, is there a script already
> fetching all translations of a set of pages?
>
> You mentioned in your first offer to help that there is a goal of
> having a conversion script which needs no tweaking. Did you have to
> change things for us? If so, where is that "tweaked" script?
>
> Valorie

1. Translations: basically, yes (just add /<locale> for the pages from the
above list, e.g., Kubuntu/da). Now there are no complete translations. The
most translated locale is Danish (da), 53 untranslated messages. No locale
with localized screenshots yet.

Problems: No internal links (all translations are with external ones).

BTW, it would be good is someone can test the instructions on non-Mageia
systems to provide some comments on what should be fixed.

2. Script: The same script (see above).

3. Tweaking: Emmm... I meant that I want to avoid the step of obtaining
XML file through UserBase interface (just use the list of pages and HTTP
requests). No other "tweaking" needed TBH. The converted documents were
obtained using How_To_Convert_a_UserBase_Manual_to_Docbook UserBase page
[1] instructions (all steps have been tested in Mageia 3 (similar to
Kubuntu 13.04) and Mageia 4 (similar to Kubuntu 14.04)). No manual changes
just for Kubuntu were applied, except for the logo (I can commit it to the
KDE repo as well, if needed).

Best regards,
Yuri

[1] http://userbase.kde.org/How_To_Convert_a_UserBase_Manual_to_Docbook