[kde-doc-english] License translation cleanup in KDocTools, help needed

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Wed Apr 16 20:03:45 UTC 2014

Am Mittwoch, 16. April 2014, 01:51:42 schrieb Luigi Toscano:
> Dear all,
> this is a long email but I can't really summarize it more, sorry for that.
>
> I'm planning another change in KDocTools but I need your input.
>
> Right now (kdelibs4 world, but also before) some common files are installed
> under $HTML_INSTALL_DIR/<lang>/common
> which usually means /usr/share/doc/HTML/<lang>/common or
> /usr/share/kde4/doc/HTML/<lang>/common
>
> There is a bit of inconsistency here: the content of en/ language is shipped
> and installed by kdelibs; the content for any other language is available
> in our SVN, under trunk/l10n-kde4/<lang>/docs/common.
>
> What is the content of those directories? The content is used for URLs like
> help:/common/<filename> in documentation.
> - css files for each language. Basically all the css files are empty (apart
> from one role in the romanian one)

Afar we has already a mail thread about the usage of these language css files
(in kde-i18n-doc or kde-doc-english), but I can not find this thread anymore.

> - translation of common license, GPL, LGPL and FDL.
> Many translations seems to miss the "this is only an official translation"
> header, though.
>
> * As you probably know documentation handling is in the KDocTools in the
> Frameworks 5 world, and I would like to do some cleaning. In more details:
> - move those files (if really used) inside kdoctools,
> - install them from kdoctools in $HTML_INSTALL_DIR/<lang>/kdoctools-common
> - remove the <lang>/docs/common directories from SVN: we already ship many
> translated entities there (please recheck my previous mail about this, maybe
> you have to fix some strings :) and the content does not change so much
> anyway.
>
> - add back those contents, and here is big question for you about the deal
> with the import!
>
> The css files will be created from scratch, empty.
>
> The problem comes from the translation of the licenses. I see two ways to
> deal with them:
> - copy the existing files from SVN with the history.

I had a look at the german files and doubt we need the history here, it is
mostly just one  commit for a file.

>   Pros: I'm the only one who needs to do something.
>   Cons: I need help with the SVN->git conversion rules; need to fix the
> encoding issues; some translations could be outdated or need some tuning
> (some of them seems to miss the headers "this is an unofficial translation"
> etc).
>
> - leave a basic css file and nothing else, let translators put the files if
> they think it's worth.
>   Pros: less work from me (especially the conversion rules) :), cleanup
>   Cons: more work on you
>
>From my experience with mails about obsolete docbooks some teams will do
nothing here.

> What do you think about this? If you think it does not make sense to start
> over, I will invest some time for a proper migration (with history).

Copy without history to kdoctools is sufficient, I guess that would most teams
do themselves.

> As a final note, here is the list of currently translated license files with
> some notes:
>
> fdl-translated.html: de, eu, hu (*), ko (*), nl (*), uk;
> gpl-translated.html: de, el (*, French version(!)), eu, fr (*), hu (*), it
> (*), ko (*), nl (header only), pt_BR, pl (*), sl, tr (*), uk, zh_TW (*);
> lgpl-translated: hu, nl (headers only), pt_BR, sl, uk, zh_TW(*);
>
> (*) means encoding issues

Thanks

--
Burkhard Lück