[kde-doc-english] Help with docbook format

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kdemail.net
Tue Apr 1 17:06:36 UTC 2014

> написане Tue, 01 Apr 2014 16:32:18 +0300, Elvis Angelaccio <
> elvis.angelaccio at kdemail.net>:
>

>  Hi all,
>> I'm the creator of the kronometer project, actually part of KDE
>> playground:
>> https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/utils/kronometer
>>
>> According to the application lifecycle policy, in order to be accepted in
>> the main modules (or in extragear) one of the requirements is the user
>> documentation in the docbook format.
>> Since I am a bit in trouble whit this, I'd like to ask help to you.
>>
>> While I'm able to handle a markup language (like docbook is), there are
>> specific details that I don't know at all.
>> So, I'm worried to write a partially wrong docbook  that might be
>> hard/tedious to fix.
>>
>> How does usually work the writing of a new docbook?
>> I can suppose two possible ways:
>>
>> 1. I write a .txt with only the documentation content. Then someone
>> creates
>> from scratch a docbook based on the content in the .txt file. For example
>> might provide a text file like this: http://pastebin.com/8wQp7YVJ
>>
>> 2. I write a partial .docbook, filling only the main tags, e.g. <chapter>,
>> <title>, <para>. Then someone completes the docbook with the missing stuff
>> that I'm not able to handle.
>>
>> What's the best method?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your time,
>> Elvis Angelaccio
>>

> Hi,
>
> You can use any format you like. You do not need to know anything about
> DocBook format.
>
> I can help you to convert your text and figures into the valid KDE DocBook.
>
> For example, you can compose your docs in ODT (LO Writer or Calligra
> Words) then save it as DocBook (*.xml, LO Writer). Later send the data to
> me or to this mailing list.
>
> Best regards,
> Yuri

Hi,
I created a first ODT draft using LibreOffice Writer.
Unfortunately when I save the document in the DocBook format, the generated
XML is wrong and some content is lost. Something weird happens.
For this reason I attach both the original ODT and the wrong resulting
DocBook.

Thank you and let me know if something is missing.

Best regards,
Elvis