[kde-doc-english] Help with docbook format

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Tue Apr 1 13:40:19 UTC 2014

написане Tue, 01 Apr 2014 16:32:18 +0300, Elvis Angelaccio
<elvis.angelaccio at kdemail.net>:

> Hi all,
> I'm the creator of the kronometer project, actually part of KDE
> playground:
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/utils/kronometer
>
> According to the application lifecycle policy, in order to be accepted in
> the main modules (or in extragear) one of the requirements is the user
> documentation in the docbook format.
> Since I am a bit in trouble whit this, I'd like to ask help to you.
>
> While I'm able to handle a markup language (like docbook is), there are
> specific details that I don't know at all.
> So, I'm worried to write a partially wrong docbook  that might be
> hard/tedious to fix.
>
> How does usually work the writing of a new docbook?
> I can suppose two possible ways:
>
> 1. I write a .txt with only the documentation content. Then someone
> creates
> from scratch a docbook based on the content in the .txt file. For
> example I
> might provide a text file like this: http://pastebin.com/8wQp7YVJ
>
> 2. I write a partial .docbook, filling only the main tags, e.g.
> <chapter>,
> <title>, <para>. Then someone completes the docbook with the missing
> stuff
> that I'm not able to handle.
>
> What's the best method?
>
> Thank you in advance for your time,
> Elvis Angelaccio

Hi,

You can use any format you like. You do not need to know anything about
DocBook format.

I can help you to convert your text and figures into the valid KDE DocBook.

For example, you can compose your docs in ODT (LO Writer or Calligra
Words) then save it as DocBook (*.xml, LO Writer). Later send the data to
me or to this mailing list.

Best regards,
Yuri