[kde-doc-english] Searching KDE Docs

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Nov 27 05:32:19 UTC 2013

написане Tue, 26 Nov 2013 23:25:09 +0200, Joe <josephj at main.nc.us>:

> How do I search an entire manual - not just the current page? Not
> knowing how to do this (if it is even possible) is the main reason I
> rarely use KDE manuals.
>
> I've been using KDE since Mandrake 9.1 and really like it, but
> help/documentation for figuring out how to do things in it is it's
> weakest point. I'm using KDE 4.8.5 now on kubuntu precise.
>
> As an example, now I need to figure out why Removable Devices
> automounting of a partition is not working on login (it worked until
> after a big backports ppa upgrade I did yesterday. It looks like that
> module has a completely new access method under the hood.) I am looking
> for an explanation of the automounting options settings and have not
> found it.
>
> I know it would be a lot of work, but I would like KDE documentation to
> work the same way help works in LibreOffice.
>
> Joe

Hi,

The problem is that offline searching is disabled because its engine is
proven to be unreliable. We are waiting for developer to implement new
engine (maybe Nepomuk-based).

For now, you can use our online documentation systems:

http://docs.kde.org/

http://userbase.kde.org/

Both allows full-text search. You can also download PDF files for big
manuals and use Okular for fine-grained search.

It is also possible to use KRunner (Alt+F2) to find an application or
System Settings module to accomplish some needed tasks.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri