[kde-doc-english] Rewrite of Documentation Primer Q3

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:38:22 UTC 2013

On 3/4/13, Randall Wood <randall at woodbriceno.net> wrote:
> Third question, and that's it for tonight:  I'm looking at
> websvn.kde.org and projects.kde.org.  The former is for all sourcecode
> still being maintained in SVN, and the latter is for projects on Git: am
> I right?

Correct.

> And is there some overlap, still? Or is there a different
> distinction (like: they're two windows into the same repository).

There is no actual overlap.  Projects are removed from SVN when they
are migrated to git.  (Of course, their history will remain there
forever in addition to being moved to git, but that's outside the
scope of the doc primer I think. ;-)

If you meant that there are still a few holdouts that haven't migrated
to git yet, that's true.  You can see them all at [1] (sans kdesdk,
which recently migrated to git and just has a README there now).  KDE
Sysadmins plan to shutdown SVN by the end of the year [2] and hope to
have everything migrated to git by July 1st.

Note that this only applies to application code and handbooks.
Translations will continue to be maintained with SVN for the
forseeable future, so any references to translations and SVN in the
documentation should stay. (This is probably outside the scope of the
doc primer too but I figured I'd mention it to be completely accurate.
;-)

> The
> question is relevant because I'm writing a section that describes how
> the KDE project is organized and where potential doc writers can find
> things they need.

Check git/projects.kde.org first and SVN/websvn.kde.org second is the
proper advice for now.  In a couple months you can remove the SVN bits
for good.  ;-)

-T.C.