[kde-doc-english] Documentation Status and Todo's for 4.11

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 23:27:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> The file preferred_forms is from kde3, probably time to update its content?
> Attached a list of all widget names used in the visual dictionary, spelling in
> preferred_forms, aspell, dictionary + in the docbooks.
> Main differences:
> Checkbox, Menubar, Scrollbar, Titlebar.
>
> I leave it to the native speakers how to sync these differences.
>
> Probably we should add the missing words to the file preferred_forms for ebn:
> combo box, context menu, list box, progress bar, scroll bar, spin box.

My 2 cents:

"[Cc]heck [bB]ox"        129    preferred forms / aspell ok
"[Cc]heck[bB]ox"         115    visual dictionary

Revert to preferred forms -> consistent with "combo box", seems to be
winning ever so slightly ;-)

"[Cc]ombo [bB]ox"         61    not in preferred forms / aspell ok /
visual dictionary
"[Cc]ombo[bB]ox"          34,

ok

"[Cc]ontext [mM]enu"     241    not in preferred forms / aspell ok  /
visual dictionary
"[Cc]ontext[mM]enu"        5
"[pP]opup [mM]enu"        67    preferred forms - Unify to context menu?
"[pP]opup[mM]enu"          1

Yes, I'm pretty sure we use "context menu" pretty much everywhere.

"[dD]ialog [bB]ox"       200   not in preferred forms / aspell ok /
visual dictionary
"[dD]ialog[bB]ox"          0

please add

"[dD]rop [dD]own [bB]ox"  89   preferred forms / aspell ok / visual dictionary
"[dD]rop[dD]own [bB]ox"    4
"[dD]rop[dD]own[bB]ox"     0

ok, fix the 4 holdouts

"[iI]con [lL]ist"          2
"[iI]con[lL]ist"           0

ok assuming the former is the preferred form

"[iI]nput [bB]ox"         11    preferred form "text box"?
"[iI]nput[bB]ox"           0
"[iI]nput [fF]ield"       32    preferred form "text box"?
"[iI]nput[fF]ield"         0

yes, please

"[lL]ist [bB]ox"          25    not in preferred forms / aspell ok /
visual dictionary
"[lL]ist[bB]ox"           25

I'd suggest we go with "List Box" since all the other Boxes aren't combined

"[mM]enu [bB]ar"          59    aspell ok
"[mM]enu[bB]ar"          233    preferred forms / visual dictionary

If I were king for a day I'd go with aspell on this one.  Outside of
computing, words never get combined like with "bar" like this—it's
"chocolate bar", not "chocolatebar" or "wine bar", not "winebar".  I'm
not sure what makes computing "bars" such special snowflakes.

But it seems the rest of the project has decided on "menubar", so
let's go with that.

"[pP]rogress [bB]ar"      13    not in preferred forms / visual dictionary
"[pP]rogress[bB]ar"        0

please add

"[rR]adio [bB]utton"      40    not in preferred forms / aspell ok /
visual dictionary
"[rR]adio[bB]utton"        9    (only kommander->obsolete)

please add

"[sS]croll [bB]ar"        10    not in preferred forms / aspell ok
"[sS]croll[bB]ar"         57    visual dictionary

scrollbar -> for consistency with "menubar" and it's clearly used more

"[sS]pin [bB]ox"          17    not in preferred forms / aspell ok /
visual dictionary
"[sS]pin[bB]ox"           39

Spin Box -> for consistency among the "boxes", though there will be a
lot of docbooks to fix.  :-/

"[sS]tatus [bB]ar"       126    preferred forms / aspell ok / visual dictionary
"[sS]tatus[bB]ar"        139

I guess "statusbar" for consistency with the other "bars", though this
spelling isn't nearly as widespread as the others...

"[tT]ext [bB]ox"         204    preferred forms / aspell ok / visual dictionary
"[tT]ext[bB]ox"            4

ok, fix those 4

"[tT]itle [bB]ar"         17    preferred forms / aspell ok
"[tT]itle[bB]ar"          49    visual dictionary

titlebar -> consistency among bars, clear winner

"[tT]ool [bB]ar"           6
"[tT]ool[bB]ar"         1125    preferred forms / aspell ok / visual dictionary

toolbar -> same

>> > * Should we use the "The Plasma Desktop" section from
>> > http://userbase.kde.org/User:Claus_chr/Visual_Dictionary ?
>>
>> IDK, Fundamentals really doesn't cover much Plasma stuff at all; we
>> leave that to the Plasma Handbook.
>
> You are right, it is better suited in the Plasma Handbook, between Plasma
> Widgets and Containments and Panel?

Works for me.  :-)

-T.C.