[kde-doc-english] Documentation Status and Todo's for 4.11

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 22:36:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Scarlett Clark
<scarlett at scarlettgatelyclark.com> wrote:
> I have not yet done any work with Visual dictionary, or with the docs from
> the svn for that matter, but I was asked to look at
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/doc/fundamentals/
>
> and comment/review
>
> So here goes nothing :)

Thanks for taking a look!  The Visual Dictionary is mostly brand new,
so you came in right on time.  :-)

Don't worry too much about SVN.  The KDE Sysadmins are working to
phase it out so most applications and their docbooks have moved to git
now, but unfortunately I started on the Visual Dictionary about a year
ago and it fell by the wayside, so it's still there.  :-/

> <listitem><para>
>
> A <link linkend="visualdict-button">Button</link> to place this window on
> all
>
> desktiops
>
> </para></listitem>
>
> desktiops = desktops?

Fixed in r1358022:
http://websvn.kde.org/?view=revision&revision=1358022

> <entry>Combo Box</entry>

> that also permits the desired selection to be typed as with a

> <entry>
>
> Does not quite read right.
>
> <entry>Combo Box</entry>

> that also permits the desired selection to be typed in the
>
> <link linkend="visualdict-text-box">text box</link> area, and it will find
> matches as you type.</entry>

I decided to completely reword this because my original wording was
actually deficient in several areas.  Completion is optional, [1] and
may work in slightly different ways (autocomplete or opening the drop
down list).  Some combo boxes also let you type stuff in that isn't in
the list (like an URL bar), and my wording made it seem like it had to
be in the list.  It also uses the word "combination", which provides a
nice little hint as to where the name comes from.  ;-)

Now it reads:

<entry>A combination of a
<link linkend="visualdict-drop-down-box">Drop Down Box</link> and a
<link linkend="visualdict-text-box">Text Box</link>.  You can select an option
from the list, or type in the text box.  Some combo boxes may automatically
complete entries for you, or open the list with a list of choices that match
what you have typed.</entry>

Thanks,
-T.C.

[1] http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKComboBox.html#ae14aa07f44ab4ef1767586afe592155c