[kde-doc-english] A few basics for new documentation

Randall Wood randall at woodbriceno.net
Fri Jan 25 16:03:58 UTC 2013

Greetings - I'm looking for a few basics to get me started.  I've agreed to
write up the documentation for Trojita (recently included in KDE) and thought
in doing so, I'd learn enough about the KDE Docs team/packages/processes to be
able to continue helping improve KDE documentation.  I'm a long-time KDE user
and a published technical writer, so happy to help.

I'm off to a bad start.  I found my way to the userbase wiki and the developer
wiki, and downloaded both the KDE Documentation Primer and KDE DocBook Authors
Guide.  Both seem woefully out of date (8-10 years), referring to old KDE3
processes and documents.

1. Just to get started:
I can probably get going if I can find the document template and lists of
entities.  I'm on openSUSE, and general.entities was found at
/opt/kde3/share/apps/ksgmltools2/customization/entities/  Is this correct, or
is there something newer?  Where would I find the kdelibs directory, or is
this a relic of the old KDE Documentation Primer?

2. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, is there some better
tutorial/primer/instruction page for willing contributers who understand
XML/Docbook and are willing to invest the time to contribute docs?  Otherwise,
where should I go/who should I talk to in order to help with the bigger
documentation picture?

Thanks in advance - Randy
www.therandymon.com