[kde-doc-english] X11 fonts

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat Jan 5 19:28:13 UTC 2013

написане Sat, 05 Jan 2013 17:29:38 +0200, Rudy J. Richardson
<rjrich at umich.edu>:

> Yuri,
>
> Thank you for your reply and your request for more information. I am
> running a crystallography application that uses X11 to draw its GUI. It
> has no "preferences" dialogue and apparently picks up its font from what
> is available to X11. I have many fonts installed in my system that are
> available to other applications such as LibreOffice. However, for the
> crystallography application, I cannot change the font, which currently
> looks bad. If I run "xlsfonts" to see which fonts are available to the X
> server, I get only old generic fonts and I do not see my TrueType or
> Type1 fonts. I have tried adding font paths to my Xorg.conf file, but
> this does not work.
>
> BTW, I know about the font management utility in KDE and I also use the
> Gnome Font Manager from KDE. I also know about Font Matrix, but I do not
> need to design or tweak fonts for my work. The most I would need is the
> ability to select fonts for X11 and perhaps be able to turn on options
> such as hinting and antialiasing, as I can for most of the applications
> that I run under linux/KDE.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rudy

Dear Rudy,

It is somewhat strange that xlsfonts does not show the T1 and TTF/OTF
fonts. In my system (Mageia 2) it does show all the fonts installed (I
mean even fonts automatically imported from Windows installation by
drakfonts). Can it be that the fonts were not properly installed into your
system? If so it may help to report bug against the installer and ask
developers about workaround or hotfix.

It is also hard to say if it is possible to use non-raster fonts in some
crystallography application without even know the name of the application
(DRAWxtl, XCrySDen, something proprietary?). ;)

In any case, the question raised is not in the scope of this list ("This
is a list for people who are writing documentation for the KDE project and
its software.") as it is not a question of documentation, IMHO.

It can be that the rapid and useful information on this problem can be
obtained from your distribution support channels (Scientific Linux, RHEL,
openSUSE, Debian, something else?), the crystallography application
mailing lists or general KDE user support channels (mailing list or IRC
[1]). There are much more competent in X11 tweaking people there.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri

[1] http://userbase.kde.org/Getting_Help