[kde-doc-english] X11 fonts

Rudy J. Richardson rjrich at umich.edu
Sat Jan 5 15:29:38 UTC 2013

Yuri,

Thank you for your reply and your request for more information. I am
running a crystallography application that uses X11 to draw its GUI. It
has no "preferences" dialogue and apparently picks up its font from what
is available to X11. I have many fonts installed in my system that are
available to other applications such as LibreOffice. However, for the
crystallography application, I cannot change the font, which currently
looks bad. If I run "xlsfonts" to see which fonts are available to the X
server, I get only old generic fonts and I do not see my TrueType or Type1
fonts. I have tried adding font paths to my Xorg.conf file, but this does
not work.

BTW, I know about the font management utility in KDE and I also use the
Gnome Font Manager from KDE. I also know about Font Matrix, but I do not
need to design or tweak fonts for my work. The most I would need is the
ability to select fonts for X11 and perhaps be able to turn on options
such as hinting and antialiasing, as I can for most of the applications
that I run under linux/KDE.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Rudy