[kde-doc-english] External discs fail to mount

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Sep 23 09:05:54 UTC 2012

написане Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:40:34 +0300, Tres Palmeras
<1y2tres at gmail.com>:

> Dear friends: I have installed recently PCLinux 2012-09 FullMonty versión
> and I experience problems with mounting - unmounting USB external discs.
>

> If they were not connected at boot time, I cannot mount them. If they are
> mounted, I cannot unmount them to extrat them, and have to extract them
> while still mounted.
>

> I have ran different trials, modifying the preferences of the system with
> regard to mount-unmount discs, and cannot find the way to solve it. The
> message that I got when I try to unmount a disc is that there must be
> some
> program accessing the disc, but it is not the case.
>

> Awaiting your news.
>

> Sincerely.

Hi,

First of all, this is wrong list. ;)

This list is for KDE documentation writers.

Further,

1. Use

    sudo lsof | grep your_device_name_here

to determine the process that has access to USB.

Ex.:

    sudo lsof | grep sdg

2. Try to get rid of this process (e.g. disable Strigi indexing of
portable devices).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri