[kde-doc-english] Assist with KWin documentation

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Thu Mar 29 13:55:49 UTC 2012

Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:37:46 +0300 було написано Pablo Sanchez
<pablo at blueoakdb.com>:

> [ Comments below, in-line ]
>
>> It is now in KDE repositories and on d.k.o:
>>
>> [ trimmed ]
>
> Well that looks very nice!  :)
>
> btw, how are updates handled?  I made an update on the main page for
> the 4.9 release of KWin - a minor edit where a label has changed.

Will be online tomorrow. Changed the next day in the repository, but d.k.o
updates once a week (on Fridays).

>>> Martin did suggest a few other KWin areas which I could document:
>>>
>>> "But I think that quite a lot of our very useful effects like Present
>>> Windows and Desktop Grid are not documented at all. Also I could
>>> imagine that quite some documentation is outdated. Oh and the new
>>> scripting module does not have any documentation yet, though scripting
>>> itself is documented on techbase."
>>
>> It would be good if Martin give some hints about what should become
>> offline docs (docs for KCM modules), what should be written on
>> UserBase (with links in KWin windows) and what should be packaged with
>> -dev packages for developers (not for ordinary users).
>
> As I'm a newbie in the KDE Doc world, I'm not sure whether I should be
> the one asking the above as I don't know what to do with the
> information.  :)
>
> What I'd like to do is find the next `high priority' area which needs
> attention and nibble away at it.  In between contracts.  :)  I hope
> that's okay.
>
> I just need help in understanding what's the next high priority item.

It's up to you to decide what is important. There are no bugs against the
lack of documentation to KWin on bugs.kde.org (I might be wrong but I
could not find them).

The only thing that can make the documentation less usable is the lack of
hints for the user about how to find it. The "Help" button, some links in
the interface or link in the README-devel (for the developer docs) from
the developer can drastically rise the availability.

Best regards,
Yuri