[kde-doc-english] Okular help page

Pieter Nuyts pieter.nuyts at esat.kuleuven.be
Wed Jun 27 07:29:54 UTC 2012

Dear Yuri,

Of course you cannot provide help for linking with all possible editors,
but I was thinking this inverse search tool would be kind of
editor-independent since there is a configuration field where you can
choose the editor (although of course not all editors will support it).  By
default, I think this field said Kate, not Kile, so I suppose it works with
Kate as well.  And since it is natively supported by the DVI format, one
could expect other LaTeX editors to support this feature as well.

Looking from the other side, the makers of the Kile documentation could
probably argue that there are also many DVI viewers and wonder whether they
should provide help for all of those.

 Personally I think it would make sense to explain the Kile part (i.e.
putting the build setting to "Modern" in Kile) and the Okular part
(shift-clicking in the viewer) in Okular, since it is an Okular feature and
since it probably also works with e.g. Kate or KWrite.

I think it would be even better to either mention both parts of the
documentation in both manuals or link between both manuals (I suppose that
is possible since they are both parts of the KDE manual).  I don't think
there's anything wrong with connecting both manuals since the programs are
also related.  They are all part of KDE which integrates many different
programs so the manual can also be integrated.  In my opinion, non-KDE
users who want to use Kile or Okular have to live with the fact that they
are KDE programs and that they integrate better with each other than with
other applications.  If they don't want to use Kile, they might not have
the inverse search function, but it doesn't hurt anyone if it is in the
documentation.  Then at least they know why there is a configuration field
for the editor, and they can try if it also works with their favorite
editor.

Actually I am mainly a Gnome user myself but I use Kile because it's the
best LaTeX editor I know and KDVI / Okular since it integrates with Kile...

Anyway, all this is just my opinion and since I'm not a KDE developer it's
not up to me to decide which documentation goes where :-)  I just didn't
find it since I didn't expect it to be in the Kile manual, so I just wanted
to point that out.  Maybe just mentioning "See the Kile manual for more
information" could already solve this.

In any case, the inverse search now works in my Okular as well, so thank
you for your very fast response.

Best regards,

Pieter