[kde-doc-english] File representation

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Tue Jun 26 16:26:56 UTC 2012

написане Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:35:51 +0300, Krakenberger, Bertil
<Bertil.Krakenberger at atkinsglobal.com>:

> Hello!
> When I try to compare two ordinary Word files, their contents are
> presented in KDiff3 in gibberish, like this
> K“ì c[1]c~Ô*þðÄG÷!Ð;pÅ?cJšd‚Ÿ•
> ________________________________
> †Ñs`ê. When I take clips from the same files and paste them into the
> program instead, they look perfectly normal. How comes?

Hi,

If you meant Microsoft Word (*.doc), please use some preprocessor (e.g.
antiword) to extract the text first.

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/06/08/use-antiword-to-extract-text-from-doc-files/

You can choose the preprocessor by pressing "Configure..." in the
following window:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55247264/kdiff31.png

Then choose "Diff" page and enter "Preprocessor command:":

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55247264/kdiff32.png

This works, for sure, with any other format. You just have to choose text
extractor. That's a great and very flexible feature of Kdiff3. And surely,
it is explained in documentation to the application:

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-utils/kdiff3/preprocessors.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri