[kde-doc-english] File representation

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 26 13:20:10 UTC 2012

On 2012.06.26 07:35, Krakenberger, Bertil wrote:
> Hello!
> When I try to compare two ordinary Word files, their contents are
> presented in KDiff3 in gibberish, like this
> K“ì c[1]c~Ô*þðÄG÷!Ð;pÅ?cJšd‚Ÿ•
> †Ñs`ê. When I take clips from the same files and paste them into the
> program instead, they look perfectly normal. How comes?

I'm not sure which program you mean by "Word" but perhaps the contents
of the file are either encrypted or compressed.  If by "take clips" you
mean copy/paste from the screen, then they have already been
decompressed/decrypted.  Have you tried a simple "cat file" first?  If
that gives you the same gibberish, then why would you expect kdiff3 to
be able to deal with it?

Jack