[kde-doc-english] autogenerate directory indexes?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri Jun 8 14:47:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

написане Fri, 08 Jun 2012 04:42:31 +0300, Stephen Dowdy <sdowdy at ucar.edu>:

> (From clicking the "Feedback" link in 'khelpcenter'...)
>
> OS: Linux
> KHelpcenter version: 4.4.5
> (Yes, i know, old version, so maybe this issue has been addressed
> already)
>
> Given there is a directory :
>     /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kioslave
>
> I would expect (hope)
>     khelpcenter help:/kioslave
>
> to provide the list of all the kioslaves that exist as
> subdirectories of that directory.
>
> Instead i am greeted with an error requestor:
>
>     Error - KDE Help Center
>     The file or folder help:/kioslave does not exist
>
> which is, at best, misleading.  I would hope for at
> a minimum to see something like:
>
>     "no docbook index file found in directory help:/kioslave
> (/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kioslave)"

This problem was solved in KDE 4.5 by Jack Ostroff and Burkhard Lück. They
added a special page for such cases:

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kde-runtime/documentationnotfound/index.html

> But, best case, i'd like to see the docbook file be autogenerated.
>
> I manually hacked up a index.docbook via:
>
> kioslave# find . -maxdepth 1 -type d \! -name '.' -printf
> (with other docbook metadata as gleaned from the ftp/index.docbook)
>
> Which works for my purposes in this one instance.  But there are
> other directories like this (e.g. kcontrol), and it seems pretty
> unhelpful to assume that someone will instead have to know that they
> want to do
>   ls /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kioslave
> to even figure out what contents of that master node exist. (defeats
> the purpose of having a document management tool like khelpcenter)
> (also, for something like kioslaves, where a third-party/updated
> kioslave might add itself to that directory, you really want the
> table-of-contents at ../kioslave to be dynamically generated anyway)

Now the list of all available help pages for KIO Slaves can be reached
 from the right sidebar of KHelpCenter. No need for command line magic.

Can it be that the formal bug report with full explanation of expected
results on bugs.kde.org can help to find someone who can solve this
problem?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards,
Yuri