[kde-doc-english] autogenerate directory indexes?

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 8 01:42:31 UTC 2012

(From clicking the "Feedback" link in 'khelpcenter'...)

OS: Linux
KHelpcenter version: 4.4.5
(Yes, i know, old version, so maybe this issue has been addressed
already)

Given there is a directory :
    /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kioslave

I would expect (hope)
    khelpcenter help:/kioslave

to provide the list of all the kioslaves that exist as
subdirectories of that directory.

Instead i am greeted with an error requestor:

    Error - KDE Help Center
    The file or folder help:/kioslave does not exist

which is, at best, misleading.  I would hope for at
a minimum to see something like:

    "no docbook index file found in directory help:/kioslave (/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kioslave)"

But, best case, i'd like to see the docbook file be autogenerated.

I manually hacked up a index.docbook via:

(with other docbook metadata as gleaned from the ftp/index.docbook)

Which works for my purposes in this one instance.  But there are
other directories like this (e.g. kcontrol), and it seems pretty
unhelpful to assume that someone will instead have to know that they
want to do
  ls /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kioslave
to even figure out what contents of that master node exist. (defeats
the purpose of having a document management tool like khelpcenter)
(also, for something like kioslaves, where a third-party/updated
kioslave might add itself to that directory, you really want the
table-of-contents at ../kioslave to be dynamically generated anyway)

thanks,
--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/