[kde-doc-english] Meaning of sentence is unclear in konversationdocumentation

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 6 23:44:17 UTC 2012

On 2012.06.06 07:50, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> > I found the following text to be translated in message #1002 in the
> pot file
> > of konversation in docmessages/extragear-network.
> >
> > This is a list of all topics that have been set for this channel
> while its
> > tab was open.\n
> > \n
> > Duplicates, that is consecutively set topics with identical text
> and the
> > same author, have been merged into a single list entry. The date
> and time
> > shown is that of the last time the topic was set.\n
> > \n
> > When you select a topic in the list, the edit field below it will
> receive
> > its text. Once you start modifying the contents of the field,
> however, the
> > list will switch from the regular entry selection mode to allowing
> you to
> > perform text selection on the entries in case you may wish to
> incorporate
> > some of their text into the new topic. To return to entry selection
> mode and
> > a synchronized edit field, undo back to the original text or close
> and
> > reopen the dialog.
> >
> > The second sentence, which start with Duplicates is quite unclear
> to me.
>
> Hi,
>
> Actually, it is not the pure documentation question [1, line 5002].
>
> I am not a native speaker, but I interpreted the second sentence as
> follows:
>
> 1. Duplicates are the topics with identical text and the same author,
> have been merged into a single list entry.
>
> 2. The duplicates will be merged into a single list entry.
>
> 3. The date and time shown for this single entry is the date and time
> of the last time the topic was set.
>
> Hope this helps. However, it will be good to have an opinion of some
> native speaker or Eike Hein himself.
>
> Best regards,
> Yuri
>
> [1]
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/templates/messages/extragear-network/konversation.pot?revision=1298368&view=markup

Yuri - I absolutely agree with your interpretation.  (I am a native
speaker.)  Would it make sense to reword the original as:

When there are multiple entries in the list with identical text and
author, they have been merged into a single list entry.  The date and
time shown for that entry are the last date and time the topic was set.

Jack