[kde-doc-english] Possible sprint for KDE documentation?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Jun 1 15:20:19 UTC 2012

El Dijous, 31 de maig de 2012, a les 21:12:44, Shaun McCance va escriure:
> On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 23:58 +0200, Ingo Malchow wrote:
> > 2012/5/31 Ingo Malchow <imalchow at kde.org>:
> > > Dears lovers and contributors of KDE documentation,
> > >
> > > something that is floating around in my (and others') for a long time
> > > is to target some issues we face with KDE documentation, be it on- or
> > > offline. Some parts were already tackled during the last Webworld
> > > sprint back in 2011, but was mostly limited to the online parts,
> > > specifically our wikis. Now, IMO it is time think about combining
> > > those 2 areas, on- and offline docu, and to give it some real life
> > > meeting face to face and do the first KDE documenation sprint (or was
> > > there already one?)
> > >
> > > In my vision it would involve who write our docbooks, or translate
> > > them, together with those who are involved in translating/writing the
> > > docu on our online platforms. And finally fix the gap fix the gap we
> > > have between those 2 areas.
> > >
> > > So, here is the question,
> >
> > (sending button was too fast :P, finishing)
> > would it be something that you all would forward to or even would be
> > willing to attend? As target date, it could be around october this
> > year or later, it of course depends on the available budget from the
> > eV. But this mail is intended  to gather some feedback before anyone
> > really tries to organize such event.
>
> Hi Ingo,
>
> I posted last month about the upcoming Open Help Conference & Sprints:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=133415393202540&w=2
> http://openhelpconference.com/
>
> It's two days of presentations and open discussion, followed by three
> days (or more, if you want) of multiple-team sprints. The event is in
> August, a bit earlier than your proposed sprint. But the multi-sprint
> format allows you to work with other projects and distro documentation
> people to share ideas, work, and solutions.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get the KDE team to join in?

I'd be thrilled if we could send anyone to this conference, however as far as
I've seen you don't seem to be having much luck with our doc people.

I think the biggest problem with the Open Help conference is that it's in the
"wrong" side of the Atlantic given most of our doc writers are european-based
hobbists so it's difficult to get to Cincinnati for a 5 day conference.

A smaller (2-3 day) closer (i.e Euro-based) spring might be easier for them to
attend and thus what Ingo proposes might have a better welcome around here.

Cheers and good luck with the conference :-)

Albert