[kde-doc-english] New Customization Guide for New KDE Users

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 31 01:30:25 UTC 2012

On 2012.07.30 21:42, Michael B. wrote:
> Hi, I'm working on a guide for new KDE users to on how to configure
> KDE (the desktop environment itself, not the KDE apps). I want to
> make it easy for both new Linux converts from Windows and existing
> Linux users to customize the desktop without hassle or confusion. I
> want to make KDE as easy and comfortable as possible (even for the
> non-technical) to help make new converts and increase KDE market
> share and relevance. Unfortunately, I've run into some problems. I
> want to write a single guide that works for every major distribution,
> unfortunately, the distros do things differently. They place
> different programs in different folders in Kickoff. They use
> different package managers. They have different default packages and
> I think package names. I've been instructing readers to use the
> searchbar to find programs in Kickoff so Kickoff isn't a huge issue.
> Both package management and command like stuff is a mess though. I
> think it's best to focus on using the GUI for the sake of converts
> from Windows, which I've done. I've written about how to get all of
> KDE's "not included for space" eye-candy and choices like
> screensavers, wallpapers, artwork, workspaces, etc. Unfortunately, I
> have to be so vague and give long descriptions that non-technical
> would inevitably struggle. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts
> other than maybe trying to collaborate and work to standardize
> package naming across distributions? While I'd love to try to get KDE
> package names standardized and have all of the KDE distros have
> master package for KDE themes, artwork and what not to make it easy
> for everyone, I doubt I would come very far considering they couldn't
> ever get the .RPM or .deb thing worked out. If anyone thinks that
> some standardization on something as "simple" as naming, then let me
> know.

You will not likely have much luck getting different distros to
standardize.  They all have different philosophies and reasons and
approaches that lead to their differences.  That in itself is something
that has to be made clear to those new to Linux, as it is a major
difference from Windows.  You can customize plenty by yourself, but
it's much easier if you pick the right distro, where "right" depends on
all sorts of stuff.

I think you either need to stay general, or be specific for one or two
distros.  It would certainly be harder to write, and even harder to
maintain, but having distro specific versions might be possible.  It's
certainly not an easy task, as useful as it will be.

Jack