[kde-doc-english] New Customization Guide for New KDE Users

Michael B. prescience500 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 01:42:34 UTC 2012

Hi, I'm working on a guide for new KDE users to on how to configure KDE
(the desktop environment itself, not the KDE apps). I want to make it
easy for both new Linux converts from Windows and existing Linux users
to customize the desktop without hassle or confusion. I want to make KDE
as easy and comfortable as possible (even for the non-technical) to help
make new converts and increase KDE market share and relevance.
Unfortunately, I've run into some problems. I want to write a single
guide that works for every major distribution, unfortunately, the
distros do things differently. They place different programs in
different folders in Kickoff. They use different package managers. They
have different default packages and I think package names. I've been
instructing readers to use the searchbar to find programs in Kickoff so
Kickoff isn't a huge issue. Both package management and command like
stuff is a mess though. I think it's best to focus on using the GUI for
the sake of converts from Windows, which I've done. I've written about
how to get all of KDE's "not included for space" eye-candy and choices
like screensavers, wallpapers, artwork, workspaces, etc. Unfortunately,
I have to be so vague and give long descriptions that non-technical
would inevitably struggle. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts other
than maybe trying to collaborate and work to standardize package naming
across distributions? While I'd love to try to get KDE package names
standardized and have all of the KDE distros have master package for KDE
themes, artwork and what not to make it easy for everyone, I doubt I
would come very far considering they couldn't ever get the .RPM or .deb
thing worked out. If anyone thinks that some standardization on
something as "simple" as naming, then let me know.