[kde-doc-english] Quick review: GUI elements in PDF

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Thu Jan 5 18:58:22 UTC 2012

написане Thu, 05 Jan 2012 20:47:37 +0200, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>:

> On 2012.01.05 13:33, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Current conversion system of d.k.o treats GUI elements in docbook as
>> the plain text. This is strict traditional approach. On the other hand
>> HTML conversion CSS has extansive system of coloring (enhancing)
>> formatting.
>> So, I just need a quick review.
>> What do you think about GUI elements representation in the following
>> files (~400 KB each, plain text)?
>> 1. http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdepim/kleopatra/kleopatra.pdf
>> 2. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55247264/index.docbook_tmp.pdf
>> Thanks in advance for your answers.
>
> Yuri,
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.  I do like the highlighting of
> the elements in index.docbook_tmp.pdf, but I wonder if some readers
> might find it too visually disruptive.  I suppose it could depend if one
> wanted to just read a section of the book, or if one were just looking
> for specific information.

I am just asking what of these two flavors can be more appealing for KDE
users?

> Also - both of the files attached were PDF.  What did you mean by saying
> "plain text"?

I mean unformatted text without even quotation marks (cf. GUI elements on
page 1 of both documents).

There are several ways to change this:

1. Do nothing.
2. Add some quotation.
3. Use colors similar to those in HTML handbook.

What kind of handling will be the best?

Yuri