[kde-doc-english] branches/work/doc

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Mon Feb 20 08:39:17 UTC 2012

Am Sonntag, 19. Februar 2012, 10:05:58 schrieb T.C. Hollingsworth:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012, 16:19:19 schrieb T.C. Hollingsworth:
> >> SVN commit 1280589 by hollingsworth:
> >>
> >> scp-kde documentation for review/inclusion
> >>
> >> basic information written by GCI student Robin Kumar while the lists of
> >> options are my fault
> >
> > Great work, some comments:
> >
> > 1) How to add a locally connected USB Printer, an obviously very common
> > task is missing in Adding a New Printer or Class chapter.
> > The New Printer dialog window has no GUI option to select a connection
> > type "USB". So Joe User will have a problem to add an USB Printer using
> > this module.
> > Afaik a locally connected USB Printer is automatically added the first
> > time the printer is connected. Then a Notification is displayed about
> > the new printer. No need to use this module for that task.
>
> Yup, USB printers should be automatically detected and set up by the
> Printer Applet that runs automatically on login in most default KDE
> setups, so Joe User shouldn't have to touch anything here if he
> doesn't want to.  ;-)  (A note about this should definitely be added
> though.)
>
> IIUC, I don't think it's possible to instruct users how to manually
> add a USB printer, as the device URI is dependent on manufacturer.
> (My printer has
> 'hp:/usb/Photosmart_C4200_series?serial=CN75FF91TR04VP' for instance;
> I assume your Epson would be completely different.)  Though I wouldn't
> be surprised in the slightest if it was just HP that is weird here,
> and other printer manufacturers have a standard URI path.  If someone
> could tell me what that is I'd happily add it.  ;-)

EPSON Stylus COLOR 3000: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20COLOR%203000
EPSON Stylus SX110: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20SX110
EPSON Stylus DX4400: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20DX4400

> > 2) It would be a valuable addition to explain the different connection
> > types (AppSocket/HP JetDirekt, Internet Printing ipp, LPD/LPR, Windows
> > Samba etc.) and their use cases (from the cups documentation?).
>
> I'll do this.  Looks like I also need to fix the screenshot of this
> page.  (I take screenshots in a seperate user account so my custom
> window style doesn't affect them, but I guess that account doesn't
> have permission to touch CUPS stuff so the connection type list is
> empty.)
>
> > 3) The content of Printer Options tab depends on the selected printer.
> > E. g. cups-pdf has only 2 options, but an EPSON Stylus COLOR 3000 has
> > around 100 options on this page.
> > A Hint explaining the different content of this tab should be added.
>
> Any chance you were exaggerating here?  Or is this distro-specific
> too?  The Stylus Color 3000 only has ~12 options on this page on my
> system.

$ grep -c OpenUI /etc/cups/ppd/EPSON_Stylus_COLOR_3000.ppd
$ 96
Afaik these options are taken from the ppd file for the printer, so they are
printer/driver specific.

> At any rate, I guess I'll have to look at a bunch of different
> printers and come up with a list of standard options here with a note
> that this varies wildly by printer/system/phase of the moon.

Media Size, Print Quality, Media Type are the only common options for all
printers (Brother HL-3040CN, EPSON Stylus COLOR 3000, EPSON Stylus SX110,
Kyocera FS-1010, EPSON Stylus DX4400) here, except for cups-pdf, which only
has Page Size + Output Resolution.

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück