[kde-doc-english] branches/work/doc

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 09:05:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012, 16:19:19 schrieb T.C. Hollingsworth:
>> SVN commit 1280589 by hollingsworth:
>>
>> scp-kde documentation for review/inclusion
>>
>> basic information written by GCI student Robin Kumar while the lists of
>> options are my fault
>>
> Great work, some comments:
>
> 1) How to add a locally connected USB Printer, an obviously very common task
> is missing in Adding a New Printer or Class chapter.
> The New Printer dialog window has no GUI option to select a connection type
> "USB". So Joe User will have a problem to add an USB Printer using this
> module.
> Afaik a locally connected USB Printer is automatically added the first time the
> printer is connected. Then a Notification is displayed about the new printer.
> No need to use this module for that task.

Yup, USB printers should be automatically detected and set up by the
Printer Applet that runs automatically on login in most default KDE
setups, so Joe User shouldn't have to touch anything here if he
doesn't want to.  ;-)  (A note about this should definitely be added
though.)

IIUC, I don't think it's possible to instruct users how to manually
add a USB printer, as the device URI is dependent on manufacturer.
(My printer has
'hp:/usb/Photosmart_C4200_series?serial=CN75FF91TR04VP' for instance;
I assume your Epson would be completely different.)  Though I wouldn't
be surprised in the slightest if it was just HP that is weird here,
and other printer manufacturers have a standard URI path.  If someone
could tell me what that is I'd happily add it.  ;-)

> 2) It would be a valuable addition to explain the different connection types
> (AppSocket/HP JetDirekt, Internet Printing ipp, LPD/LPR, Windows Samba etc.)
> and their use cases (from the cups documentation?).

I'll do this.  Looks like I also need to fix the screenshot of this
page.  (I take screenshots in a seperate user account so my custom
window style doesn't affect them, but I guess that account doesn't
have permission to touch CUPS stuff so the connection type list is
empty.)

> 3) The content of Printer Options tab depends on the selected printer.
> E. g. cups-pdf has only 2 options, but an EPSON Stylus COLOR 3000 has around
> 100 options on this page.
> A Hint explaining the different content of this tab should be added.

Any chance you were exaggerating here?  Or is this distro-specific
too?  The Stylus Color 3000 only has ~12 options on this page on my
system.

At any rate, I guess I'll have to look at a bunch of different
printers and come up with a list of standard options here with a note
that this varies wildly by printer/system/phase of the moon.

-T.C.