[kde-doc-english] (no subject)

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Thu Aug 23 14:38:54 UTC 2012

написане Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:09:08 +0300, Joseph Thames
<beartham at gmail.com>:

> Why does this KDE4 version of Konsole not have search and history save
> capabilities, like the KDE 3.5 version did? I have all these desktop
> Icons
> in KDE3.5 that invoke, size, and color Konsole windows when invoked by
> Icons. Am I going to have to rebuild them using Gnome Terminal?

Use profiles for this.

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kde-baseapps/konsole/profiles.html

> Why in KDE4 can I not create desktop icon launchers when logged in as
> root?
> I could do that in KDE 3.5, enabling me to configure the desktop of my
> other user accounts.

Do not know how this things are connected, but use /etc/skel, directly
user folders in /home or Kiosk to configure things for all users.

> Why is there no window-list applet in KDE4, like in KDE 3.5? You have a
> lot
> of cute useless applets that nobody needs or wants, and the vital one for
> many-desktop users in missing.

Sorry, but it was here all the time. Just add the corresponding widget to
any panel or desktop.

Tutorial on how to add a widget:

http://userbase.kde.org/images.userbase/f/f0/Plasma_howto-widget-panel-add-45.gif

> I don't understand why you guys think KDE4 is better than KDE 3.5, and
> you
> can foist it on a user community with no backward compatibility? Its
> about
> functionality not cosmetics. You have foisted all this pretty plasma
> garbage on us but your functionality is marching backwards.

No comments. See above.

> I have been using KDE for 15 years, on Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Centos.
> first ran into KDE4 on Kubuntu 9.04, and found it bleeding-edge junk. So
> went to Centos 5.5 which came with KDE 3.5. Now I just opened a new VPS
> with Centos 6.2, and you got me with your KDE4 junk again. Three years
> later and still no  windows-list applet.

See above.

> Is there any wonder that there are over 200 balkanized strains of Linux?
> Here is the reason! All you creatively-addicted kids don't know when to
> stop changing things because you don't have to live with the
> consequences.
> Haven't you ever heard the adage: If it ain't broke don't fix it? You
> should take the lesson of Emacs, which I started using in 1986. Now it
> has
> become such an incomprehensible pile of shit, that it can only be used
> carefully in GUI mode. I think its menus were written by aliens.

You should tell it to Mark, Steve or Tim. ;)

> Nevertheless, I am still loyal to KDE, as I made the jump from Gnome
> when I
> moved from Unix to Linux long ago. So help me please!

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri