[kde-doc-english] Visual Dictionary

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Fri Apr 27 07:18:58 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, 26. April 2012, 20:07:14 schrieb Yuri Chornoivan:
> написане Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:26:08 +0300, T.C. Hollingsworth
>
> <tchollingsworth at gmail.com>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just committed my first stab at a visual dictionary to
> > branches/work/doc.  The non-docs folks (or those too lazy to meinproc
> > it ;-) can check it out here:
> > http://tchol.org/kde/fundamentals/ui.html
> >
> > I just did one part so far:  the basic elements of a window.  I'll
> > also do all the little things like checkboxes and buttons and the
> > like, but I wanted to get some feedback first so I won't have to
> > change around dozens of UI elements.  ;-)
> >
> > You'll notice there's a full screenshot at the top, and you can click
> > on the different parts of the window to jump to the name and
> > description of it.

I really like these links from the main window to the element screenshots in
the table.

> > Ideally we'll have some fancy visual indicators
> > like the Plasma visual dictionary, but those can wait.

Do you have a link to the Plasma visual dictionary?

I had a similar idea to use some kind of highlighting (red border around parts
of main window like ksnapshot using Section of Window mode), see attachment.

> > (You might
> > also notice that it looks weird uncentered.  We have a CSS rule to
> > center normal <mediaobject>s but not <mediaobjectco> which makes
> > imagemaps.  I'll fix this soon.)
> >
> > I'm not sure I like how the description ends up smashed like it is due
> > to the wider screenshots.  My original thought was to have the name
> > and description in one column, but the only way I could think to do it
> > and look decent is using <variablelist> markup and that would be
> > rather verbose.

Some ideas for visual improvement:

* Reduce height for visualdict-window.png (see attachment) and visualdict-
window-centralwidget.png

* Toolbar Text unter Icons or cut off the right prt of the toolbar screenshot
(reduce width of visualdict-window-toolbar.png -> more space for text in the
second column)

* Add Scrollbars here

* Term "Panel" or "Sidebar"?
Dolphin uses the term "Panel" in GUI+Documentation, wheras Konqueror and Kate
use "Sidebar", what to use here?

Thanks a lot for your work.

--
Burkhard Lück