[kde-doc-english] Okular Text Selection

Kurt Bischoff kbischoff at frontiernet.net
Sun Apr 8 14:17:29 UTC 2012

On 04/08/2012 03:15 AM, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> написане Sat, 07 Apr 2012 11:08:33 +0300, Kurt Bischoff
> <kbischoff at frontiernet.net>:
>
>> Please forward to the Okular developers unless this is clearly a
>> documentation-only issue.
>>
>> Thank you for Okular and for the documentation.
>>
>> When I use Okular and I want to select text, I have to go to
>> Tools-->Text Selection Tool or press Ctrl+4.  But I want the program
>> to be in that mode by default when I start Okular or open a new
>> document.  So there should be a preferences option to change the
>> default.  But I don't see it in the menus or in the Okular
>> documentation.
>>
>> I am guessing that this should be a request for a feature and that it
>> is not a shortcoming of the documentation.
>>
>> Please forward to the Okular developers unless this is clearly a
>> documentation-only issue.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Kurt Bischoff
>>

> Hi!
>
> I'm using Okular 0.14.80 (self-compiled from git master). This version
> is automatically use the mode selected during the last session. There
> is no need to select the default mode (this is very reasonable
> behaviour, imho). Should it be mentioned in documentation?
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Best regards,
> Yuri

Yuri,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that behavior seems perfectly reasonable to me too.

If that is the behavior, then I guess it would be good to mention it,
along with any other modes whose defaults are saved  between sessions.

But the program does not seem to work that way for me.  It always starts
up in the Browse Tool mode rather than Text Selection Tool mode.

And note that you can have more than one Okular session, each with its
own document, running at once.   So I don't think it is as simple as you
say.

It seems that the mode is not associated with the copy of a document
either.  I ran a test by changing the mode for a document, then closing
it,  and opening it again, and the change of mode was not preserved.

I am using Okular 0.13.2 on KDE 4.7.2 release 5, current with automatic
updates for opensuse 12.1.11.

Kurt