[kde-doc-english] local copy of exported userbase documentation

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 3 15:08:24 UTC 2011

On Saturday 03 Sep 2011 Burkhard Lück wrote:

> > > [german translators hat on]
> > > Translating in the wiki is a PITA compared to using Lokalize
> > > incorporated in  scripty's workflow...
> >
> > It is, of course, possible to use the web interface to call the messages
> > for use with Lokalize.
>
> Yes , but that workflow is using only a limited part of the capabilities of
> Lokalize/Scripty. And starts doing the wrong thing, exporting po files
> (msgstr/msgid) is an error. What needs to be exported are pot files
> (msgstr+empty msgid).
>
> > However, at DS Albert said that translators would
> > be much happier if they didn't have to use the web interface at all.
>
> It is not about translators beeing happy/unhappy, it is about wasting/not
> wasting limited resources (translators time).

That, in my view, equates to keeping them happy :-)  Being productive is to be
happy :-)

> tsdgeos/pino/chusslove (big three of i18n in kde) invest an incredible and
> completely underestimated amount of work to control scripty, adapt its
> workflow, move, merge, delete catalogs to follow code/doc changes etc. to
> prevent, that all translator waste their time doing each the same job
> several times:
> get to know what has changed
> extract/download that
> push it back
> and that for each individual page
>
> These time consuming tasks are done only centrally and automatically by
> Scripty once a day for all translators, so each translators has to perform
> only three tasks:
>
> 1) update language fom svn
> 2) translate using eg localize
> 3) commit to svn
>
> 1) + 3) are usually done whithin a few seconds, so translators can
> concentrate on their core task: translate.
>
> And having all german translations on a folder on my disk enables me to use
> tools like pology, scripts etc to review translations, fix errors and keep
> the german translations consistent.
> That's not doable with web translation or exporting only single po files.
>
> > I'm
> > told that the API is well documented at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API
> > - I'd like to add a page to all the wikis explaining how to use it, but
> > a) I haven't had time to explore it and b)I doubt if I have the
> > knowledge and skills to write such a page.  If anyone would care to give
> > me an outline, based on that, I'll see whether I can suitably flesh it
> > out.
>
> My knowledge about this API is limited as well, but for any question
> regarding the i18n part of a possible workflow I'd be very happy to help.

We have the willing help of the Translate extension author.  I think the first
thing to do is to talk to him about the .pot files.  For my education, though,
does msgid equate to the <!--T:nn--> tags that the extension uses to correctly
replace the strings into the page?  If so it's hard to see a solution to that.

Our web team (which includes Niklas/Nikerabbit) is keen to try to reduce the
workload.  Your description of it sounds so very labour-intensive.  If there
is any possibility that we can adapt things to make any part of it easier, we
need to identify it.

Anne