[kde-doc-english] Frozen kdelibs, new entities and other Kate/KWrite troubles

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Nov 21 23:34:43 UTC 2011

A Dilluns, 21 de novembre de 2011, Freek de Kruijf vàreu escriure:
> On maandag 21 november 2011 00:07:58 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Diumenge, 20 de novembre de 2011, Freek de Kruijf vàreu escriure:

> > > What do you mean by that? Do you mean there is a kdelibs in git for
> > > trunk, branch and 4.6. If so please tell me, a recipe, how to use
> > > them,
> > > or rather how to update them.
> >
> > I mean i did not understand what you said at all with "There is no
> > kdelibs in branch, which is 4.7, so no kdelibs 4.7!".
>
> I am probably confused by the git concept. I have in my KDE trunk directory
> a directory kdelibs in which I import the git repository. So my view on
> this was that only KDE trunk was present there; currently 4.8. However
> later I got the recipe to enter a command "git push origin KDE/4.7", of
> which I did not really understand what it does. Thinking about that, my
> perception is now that this git directory looks like a turning stage with
> several different stages behind it, apparently a stage called trunk and one
> called 4.7 and maybe more. So do I have to give "git push origin KDE/4.7"
> to see and use 4.7? What command to see 4.8 and 4.6 and make changes in it.

There is no kdelibs 4.8 (it does not exist), also it does not make sense for
you to push to 4.6 as there are no more releases of it anymore.

Let me try to explain the main difference between svn and git regarding
branches

in svn each branch had a different url, e.g.
/trunk/KDE/kdelibs
/branches/KDE/4.7/kdelibs
etc

in git everything has the same url, e.g.
git://anongit.kde.org/kdelibs
contains ALL the kdelibs branches

So when you do
git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kdelibs
you end up with master (what was called trunk before) in a folder named
kdelibs

If you want to switch to a different branch, you just switch to it from within
the same repository (folder), doing
git checkout master
git checkout KDE/4.7
git checkout KDE/4.6
etc

You can view all the existing branches with git branch -a

Then depending which branch you have checked out you need to push to the same
branch (otherwise very bad things can happen), that is
git push origin master
git push origin KDE/4.7
git push origin KDE/4.6

This should give you a quick overview of how git works, but i recommend that
you read some of the tutorials out there. If you do not have time for that,
just send me the patches you need to commit to kdelibs.

> How do these changes in kdelibs boil down to a distribution? Are they only
> part of a minor release of KDE or is there a separate work flow for changes
> that are made in the area where localized information is produced, like
> kdelibs, but also in the i18n svn repository. So a distribution can
> regularly pick up these packages, apart from the minor releases of KDE.

Distributions use tarballs that we release with every minor release like they
always have done.