[kde-doc-english] Re: Revocation Certificates??

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Sat Jul 30 17:33:22 CEST 2011

>> revocation

>> there

>> importantly,

>> interface

>> at

>> this

>> upload
>> and
>> >
>> > KGpg has an action "Revoke Key" in the context menu, which opens the
>> > "Create
>> > Revocation Certificate" dialog.
>> > But the documentation does not mention revocation.
>> >
>> > Eike would you mind to add something about revocation to the handbook,
>> we
>> > could ship the updated doc with 4.7.1.
>>
>> Ups, indeed. Since even I forgot about it how is anyone else supposed to
>> know? ;) Yes, I think I'll cook up some text for this. Suggestions
>> welcome.
>>
> Ping Eike

Ok, I would commit the following text early next week if there aren't any
better proposals:

A key pair that has expired can be brought back into an operational state
as long as you have access to the private key and the passphrase. To
reliably render a key unusable you need to revoke it. Revoking is done by
adding a special revokation signature to the key.

These revokation signature can be created together with the key. In this
case it is stored in a separate file. This file can later be imported into
the keyring and is then attached to the key rendering it unusable. Please
note that to import this signature to the key no password is required.
Therefore you should store this revokation signature in a safe place,
usually one that is different from you key pair. It is a good advise to
use a place that is detached from your computer, either copy it to an
external storage device like an USB stick or print it out.

If you have not created such a detached revokation on key creation you can
create such a revokation signature at any time choosing Key -> Revoke key
***, optionally importing it to your keyring immediately.

*** Currently this item is only available in the context menu. I'll move
this from the context menu to the key menu for 4.7.1. The context menu
should provide shortcuts to the often used items. Revoking a key is
seldomly used (if at all) so it has no reason to be in the context menu at
all.

Greetings,

Eike