[kde-doc-english] Docs for Window Rules

John Florian jflorian at doubledog.org
Sat Dec 10 17:59:36 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 05:02 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM, John Florian<jflorian at doubledog.org>  wrote:
>> I absolutely love the Plasma desktop and the ability to customize it for a
>> fit like a well worn glove ...  an old friend.
>>
>> However, I struggle to understand some of the settings even when I let my
>> imagination roam and I'm a software developer as well, but in a much
>> different world than that of KDE.  I want more (any, really) details about
>> 'Remember' and 'Force Temporarily' do.
>>
>> A simple sentence or two for each of the settings would be my ideal.  I
>> write a lot and could help improve the docs if given a little guidance and
>> technical access to those who do know.  It's frustrating to read things like
>> http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2010/10/is_kwin_getting_too_complicate.html
>> even though I agree much with what's said there.  That was the closest hit I
>> got with Google trying to find my answers, well short of this email address.
>>
>> I'd rather help make help help, if you know what I mean.  :-)
> As Anders points out, those particular features are documented in the
> "What's This?" help.
Thanks for that!  I was unaware since my theme (~Fedora) didn't have
this WM button.  I knew what you meant and was surprised how useful it
was there.  I later gave "What's This?" a go on some new looking
controls within Desktop Effects and found it horrible there.  I will
still keep it around though since in some areas it does have apparent,
effective value.

It would be very cool if such help bits as are those from "What's This?"
were, at minimum, joined with those of the Help button clan.  Kind of a
further reading, advanced and quirky or whatever technical tidbits
(e.g., doc strings) the help button could provide.  If nothing else,
maybe just a note in the help dialog suggesting to perhaps try using the
? tool.
>    (Incidentally, this thread made me notice a typo
> in that, so you've already helped make help help a little bit better.
> ;-)
:-)

> That being said, the manual for the window-specific kwin configuration
> is rather sparse:
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/windowspecific/index.html
>
> If you'd like to help out with that (or any KDE documentation), you're
> more than welcome to join us.
I'll take a stab at that very page.  It may be a while, but I know it
hasn't changed significantly in a while either so yeah, I'll bite.  One
is better then none, right? :)

> KDE documentation is written in an XML language called DocBook, but
> you don't have to worry about that if you don't want to.  Just fire up
> your favorite text editor and start writing!  Send your work to this
> mailing list, and we'll happily add it to the documentation.
I've done DB, but it's been awhile so I'll just KIS for now.

> If you need help figuring out certain features while you're
> documenting them, just ping the kwin developers on their mailing list
> or IRC.  I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you improve their
> documentation.  They provide information on how to get in touch with
> them here:
> http://community.kde.org/KWin/Hacking#Communication
Finally an excuse to learn IRC.  FOSS community has always been good to
me so I always endeavor to do good back.  I look forward to the opportunity.

> Thanks!
> -T.C.

And thank you in return for the thoughtful response.  Come bug me if I
haven't turned in my homework within, say a week.  Sometimes I crash my
computer and my editor won't necessarily reopen once I get back.   ;-)

--
John Florian