[kde-doc-english] Khelpcenter stylesheet issues

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Aug 31 18:50:24 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 19:27:55 Burkhard Lück wrote:

> > IIRC the amount of padding was in order to ensure that the footer appears
> > at the *bottom* of very short pages. It should be compensated for by a
> > corresponding negative padding-bottom (or some other CSS hack) elsewhere.
>
> Yes, that makes sense and explains this for me until now "strange" padding-
> bottom value.
>
> But we have roughly only 10-20% short pages, where this amount of padding is
> usefull.

The padding is not supposed to affect the normal length pages. I'll explain by
answering your next point.

> > Adjusting the difference between that negative padding and the large
> > padding should change the amount of space between the last line of text
> > and the footer on large pages, just please make sure it still pushes the
> > footer to the bottom for very short pages on reasonable screen heights.
>
> I hardly understand what you are talking about, my css skills are near to
> zero...

CSS uses a "box model" to layout elements, with many (if not all) of the
attributes of that box modifiable in CSS. If you don't specify any of those
attributes then they simply end up getting laid out generally from top to
bottom, as close together as possible.

I had thought in my email last week that I had forced the footer to the bottom
by using an artificially-large content area on top of the footer, and then
used negative CSS margins to collapse some of that extra area to avoid showing
scrollbars. Looking at the kde-docs.css closer I don't see any negative
margins or padding though (although there is still the large padding mentioned
previously). I think I will have to look at this closer.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne