[kde-doc-english] Comment about help for Date & Time KDE Control module

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Fri Aug 19 16:40:58 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, 19. August 2011, 11:25:11 schrieb Michael Widenius:
> Hi!
>
> Could you please update the help page to say what it means when you click
> 'Set date and time automaticlly'.

If this is enabled I have an entry in /etc/kde4/kcmclockrc :
[NTP]
enabled=true
servers=Öffentlicher Zeitserver
(pool.ntp.org),europe.pool.ntp.org,asia.pool.ntp.org,north-
america.pool.ntp.org,oceania.pool.ntp.org

rdate or ntpdate is used in this module to set date and time from timeservers.

And the description of the nptdate package says:
ntpdate is a simple NTP client that sets a system's clock to match the time
obtained by communicating with one or more NTP servers.  It is not sufficient,
however, for maintaining an
accurate clock in the long run.  ntpdate by itself is useful for occasionally
setting the time on machines that do not have full-time network access, such
as laptops.

> What I am especially interested to know:
> - Will this be done only once (which I don't think is the case)
> - If time is adjusted regularly, I would like to know when this is done and
> how I could change the time when this is done.
>
> One reason for knowing this is that if you do constant builds on a system,
> you can get failed builds if the time is shifted backwards even a second
> at the same time 'make' is running.

In the log files in /var/log I find the ntpdate message always short time after
a kdm message.

My conclusion:
Date and time is fetched from a timeserver when you log in to kde.

Is this info correct and should we add it to the help page?

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück