[kde-doc-english] Parley userbase manual

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sun Jun 13 20:23:16 CEST 2010

Am Sonntag, 13. Juni 2010, um 16:30:54 schrieb Frederik Gladhorn:
> Hi,
> I'm sorry I am so late to answer, but during Linux Tag I just didn't find
> the time and calm to sit down for this. On the other hand, I am happy that
> we can get some help from Marcus with regards to Perl. He will post a
> patch fixing many issues (for example some of the links) to this list.

We dont use the pearl script any more, we have an own solution which handles
all issues mentioned in my mail quite well.

I am able to generate a valid docbook on the fly, including a proper docbook
header and footer, just give me a userbase page name.

Please inform Markus to stop working on the perl script.
Thanks to you both for the offer to help.

> On Wednesday 09 June 2010 15:31:25 Burkhard Lück wrote:

[snip]

> > Problem is the jump from level1 to level3, that needs manual correction
> > after running wt2db, I had to lift up all level3 to level2 and all level4
> > to level3.
>
> I'm sorry, I introduced this chaos since I tried to clean up the top level
> headers. It should of course be always level 1, 2, 3 ... without jumps.

No problem, this is processed by the script properly now.
But http://userbase.kde.org/Toolbox#Use_Headings says:
<quote>
Avoid using a single one - that denotes a page heading, and the automatic page
heading should be used. Your major headings will use '==text goes here==', the
next level, '===more text===' and so on.
</quote>

> > > Not sure what you mean here?
> >
> > In the Parley page in most, but not all cases '''foo''' (Bold) is used
> > for GUI strings. This has to be changed to <gui...> markup for docbook.
> > And that is a lot easier, if there is one markup in the wiki exclusively
> > used for GUI strings.
>
> I agree, a template would be good for that, maybe it can even indicate the
> semantics on the wiki as well.
> This means that keyboard shortcuts or menu items will actually be easier to
> recognize.

> > > In the Toolbox page I have added an instruction to use underscores.
> >
> > Hmm, the perl script doesn't handle underscores very well, therfore using
> > spaces would be better. Or someone has to adapt the perl script to handle
> > underscores properly
>
> I hope Marcus will do the fixing, since the wiki does not enforce anything
> here and it's bound to break again.

Please stop Markus and from my pov use whatever you like, underscores,
spaces...

> > > There are not many places where this is used, and the need for it will,
> > > hopefully disappear quite soon.  The problem has been that web links
> > > were not easily seen in the schema currently used.  We can make sure
> > > that that isn't so in the new theme, so many bold instructions can
> > > disappear.
> >
> > The perl script wt2db processes either ''' (bold) and ''(italic)
> > properly, but not both markup for one string.

> > > Since PageLayout and Toolbox are the pages that set the guidelines, I
> > > think we need to draw attention to these as soon as possible.  I will
> > > discuss with Ingo what we can do about that.  One thing is to change
> > > the current Help link to Quick_Start, where those pages will be
> > > clearly linked, but any other suggestions are welcome.
> > >
> > > Anne
>
> Thanks for all the effort of everyone :)
> Frederik

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück