[kde-doc-english] wiki

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Fri Jun 11 08:03:54 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 10. Juni 2010, um 23:35:27 schrieb Jay Woods:
> On Thursday, June 10, 2010 02:39:09 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 June 2010 19:43:53 Mark Shelby wrote:
> > > I've brought up this topic before, but was just browsing the kde
> > > forums and so I'll ask it of this mailing list again: What is the
> > > main reason that kde documentation cannot be formatted strictly
> > > for wiki and updated by users, and available primarily via
> > > internet access?
> > >
> > > Also what is the need to include and make available by default
> > > offline documentation? Why can't the system admin (if one exists
> > > for whatever size network) simply download a hard copy of the wiki
> > > text and distribute it to users internally as the sysadmin and
> > > users deem necessary?
> >
> > You clearly live in a well-populated feature-rich environment.
> > Believe it or not, there are still people who have only intermittent
> > slow internet access or even none at all.   Without distro-supplied
> > documentation they would have none at all.
>
> When I mash on the Help key there is only a message saying:
>
> 	There is no documentation available for /kontact/index.html.

$ kde4-config --version
Qt: 4.6.2
KDE: 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3)
kde4-config: 1.0

$ ls -d /home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en/kontact/
/home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en/kontact/

> It is the same for KAddressBook, Kontact Administration, KOrganizer,
> Kraft, and KTimeTracker. Oddly enough, KMyMoney is present.

$ ls -d /home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en//kontact-admin/
/home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en//kontact-admin/

$ ls -d /home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en/korganizer
/home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en/korganizer

$ ls -d /home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en/ktimetracker/
/home/kde44/kde44/share/doc/HTML/en/ktimetracker/

Kraft has no documentation, write one or file a bug

KAddressBook has a docbook draft unfinished due to input from devels, a wiki
page on userbase, is in heavy transition, a bug in the application with the
help button leading to nowhere (file a bug)

> Where is this distro-supplied documentation you write of? Is it the
> docbook out in
> /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/khelpcenter/userguide/groupware-
> kontact.docbook? If so, how do I read it? Using Konqueror, it looks like
> email from Marco Menardi  gnu at kde.org.

I open this in khelpcenter here.

> This behavior shows on Kubuntu 9.10, 10.04, and openSUSE 11.2.

This behavior does not show on Kubuntu 9.10 here.

Your fault or distribution fault. Period.

How does a Wiki solve these problems?

I won't answer to your rant (you find all arguments about wiki in the ML
archives of kde-doc-english and kde-i18n-doc), cause it seems to me that you
did not even get the facts right.

--
Burkhard Lück