[kde-doc-english] wiki

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri Jun 11 06:18:49 CEST 2010

написане Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:43:53 +0300, Mark Shelby <mshelby1 at gmail.com>:

> I've brought up this topic before, but was just browsing the kde forums
> and
> so I'll ask it of this mailing list again: What is the main reason that
> kde
> documentation cannot be formatted strictly for wiki and updated by users,
> and available primarily via internet access?
>
> I've heard arguments of needing to have documentation for every release
> version of kde, but frankly I think that is a pipe-dream. The
> documentation
> is so out of date and incomplete for *any* release version that it would
> be
> further impossible to include docs for all releases!
>
> Also what is the need to include and make available by default offline
> documentation? Why can't the system admin (if one exists for whatever
> size
> network) simply download a hard copy of the wiki text and distribute it
> users internally as the sysadmin and users deem necessary?
>
> Why is the kde team locked into the docbook format? Don't kde-doc members
> think their time would be much better served in not having to be a
> gate-keeper for document changes and additions? Don't kde-doc developers
> realize that many kde users would be happy to contribute to documentation
> efforts if it weren't purposefully so dificult to contribute? Why the
> "gate-keeper" mentality?
>
> Just curious. Seriously. Not a flame.
>
> -Mark Shelby

Dear Mark,

I seems that you are the great wiki writer. Please update these outdated
wiki pages (they are misleading for users):

http://userbase.kde.org/KWord/1.5/Manual
http://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Tutorials
http://userbase.kde.org/Applications/Internet
http://userbase.kde.org/Applications/Multimedia
http://userbase.kde.org/Applications/Office

I would be glad if the pages you will create contain more than can be
guessed from application's name or interface. Please do not write that "to
send the mail you have to click ''Send''".

It will also be great if you write some tutorials, because today's
UserBase are almost useless if you try to *use* applications, not to
resale them.

Feel free to send any documentation in this list (you can even write it on
a peace of paper, scan, and email here). I promise you that I will convert
your precious writing in these so-hard-to-write docbooks.

Sincerely yours,
Yuri