[kde-doc-english] wiki

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:39:09 CEST 2010

On Thursday 10 June 2010 19:43:53 Mark Shelby wrote:
> I've brought up this topic before, but was just browsing the kde forums and
> so I'll ask it of this mailing list again: What is the main reason that kde
> documentation cannot be formatted strictly for wiki and updated by users,
> and available primarily via internet access?
>
> I've heard arguments of needing to have documentation for every release
> version of kde, but frankly I think that is a pipe-dream. The documentation
> is so out of date and incomplete for *any* release version that it would be
> further impossible to include docs for all releases!
>
> Also what is the need to include and make available by default offline
> documentation? Why can't the system admin (if one exists for whatever size
> network) simply download a hard copy of the wiki text and distribute it to
> users internally as the sysadmin and users deem necessary?
>
> Why is the kde team locked into the docbook format? Don't kde-doc members
> think their time would be much better served in not having to be a
> gate-keeper for document changes and additions? Don't kde-doc developers
> realize that many kde users would be happy to contribute to documentation
> efforts if it weren't purposefully so dificult to contribute? Why the
> "gate-keeper" mentality?
>
> Just curious. Seriously. Not a flame.

You clearly live in a well-populated feature-rich environment.  Believe it or
not, there are still people who have only intermittent slow internet access or
even none at all.   Without distro-supplied documentation they would have none
at all.

Just as an example, my sister lives an hour's drive from Alicante, in Spain.
She has no landline and no internet access.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group